Monday, January 10, 2011

A Smooth Week

Success: Roger with the trophy after a very good week in Doha. 


































































































































































































Roger won his 67th career title by beating Nikolay Davydenko 6-3, 6-4 at the Qatar ExxonMobil Open in stylish fashion. He didn't drop a set all week and his play improved with every match. Roger felt that the new year had started quite brightly indeed: "There is a pleasure coming to this part of the world where I actually do spend quite a bit of time, and I've always had good friends here in Qatar. I love playing here, been successful here in the past. I thought the level of play was extremely high. I was very happy, from my side, I was almost flawless, and I was able to play offensive when I needed to, and when I wanted to it all worked out. So I'm really pleased with such a great final."

When asked about the upcoming Australian Open, Roger smiled, "I am not ready now. I will be when I get there. But obviously, the wins here will help me build my rhythm [in Australia]." 

Nikolay felt the Swiss was unplayable on Saturday, "He played very well. I have played him so many times and I know he was fast today. He gave me no chance. If I tried to play from the baseline, he was too fast. When he hit his backhand, then he was too good. I think if he can hold his form like this, he can be No. 1 again." 

(P.S. - The Maestro also presented a new-look tweener for everyone to behold in his first official match of the year against Thomas Schoorel!)


No comments:

Post a Comment